Pikku L

Monday, November 27, 2006


Rough Draft of Statement

My work comes from the deepest parts of my mind. I never know what I will do and what I want to do, I just do it. I don’t like doing preliminary sketches even though artists in the past have gotten their inspiration from doing this. I like to work from moment to moment. I love the thrill of thinking of new things on the spot without any preliminary thought. I do what I think; if this doesn’t work out I try again. I go through this process until I come to a work that satisfies me. It can take many failed attempts and different views to come to a conclusion that I can be happy with. My mind shifts in and out of different mediums when it comes to my work. I paint, photograph, project, collage, film, and combine to get my point across. It can be quite difficult if you don’t have a set medium you work with. I have worked with many mediums but I am not an expert at any of them. I seem to drift like an elementary student on a Friday afternoon at school. I can’t stay focused long enough to fully grasp on medium. I wouldn’t say I am a bad painter or drawer I just lack the various skills that experts have. This doesn’t always happen for my artwork sometimes has a hard time in finding a voice. I can think of many things in my mind, but all of these points don’t make it to my work. They get lost in translation along the way from my mind to the piece. This is the most difficult problem with my work. I have had successful work especially in my photography. I am fascinated when it comes light and shadow. I love the idea that shadows are remnants of something that was once there or is there, but not in view. I guess my work is the remnants of the idea that was in my mind. They were the idea in my mind and are the only note of what was actually on my mind. I find my work deals with what is on my mind. It maybe something deep in my mind or an idea that just popped out of nowhere. I work with objects or subjects that are not human. My work is often small, but I have ventured into larger work from time to time. I like to work abstractly with various styles and ideas from the norm. I like realistic art that is abstract. That is why I am drawn to the impressionist painters. I love the use of color and brush stroke to paint what was in the painter’s mind. Up close these paintings feel very abstract but far away they come alive with mages of people and their lives. I love creating work that has a whimsical childish style to them. I love taking old children’s books from the past and change them to say my own story. I love making them seem cohesive even though I have cut, pasted and added color. I love having the viewer not realize that what they are looking at is actually not part of the original book. I like to fool the viewer into seeing my work. I don’t want them to say that is that. I want them to make their own interpretation even if it is completely opposite of mine. I am not afraid of people not getting my work. To me, my art is part of me; as long as I am happy with it, it is okay. But that is not what art is for, or at least that is what we are told. Art is our statement to the world. Art is meant to be seen and liked; at least famous art works that way. Art isn’t meant to be understood completely by the viewer. You want to have the viewer leave with questions running in their mind. I like having the viewer have more questions than answers when it comes to my work. I guess because I always have more questions when it comes to art. I have always had a difficult time when it comes to analyzing work. Why can’t I just like art aesthetically, I guess that is like an astronomer saying that why can’t they just look at the stars. We need to know about art so we can learn from it. I don’t necessarily need to have all of the information handed to me on a silver platter, but tid bits that clue me in on how the artist might think

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home